The last time I had good tapenade was in Jamie’s Italian served with Pane Carasau and giant Queen olives – maybe it tasted that little bit sweeter because it was one of the free tasters with my Jamie’s Italian Gold Card, that aside it was a brilliant appetiser.
When I got my hands on some Crosta & Mollica flatbreads, Rosemary Linguette I knew they would pair perfectly with a tasty tapenade.
- Tesco pitted black olives 330g (drained weight 163g)
- 1 anchovy fillet (in olive oil)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 garlic clove (to taste)
- 1 -2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Chilli flakes (to taste)
- Put everything into a blender except the olive oil and blitz for 30 seconds. I don’t like too much garlic so I added a tiny amount for flavour, probably a ¼ of a clove.
- Add olive oil, start with a tbsp and then see how the consistency is, add another tbsp if you prefer it to be smoother – for me tapenade should have some texture with little pieces of olive.
I served this with lots of other finger food antipasti including stuffed mushrooms with ricotta, lemon and chilli and mozzarella wrapped in parma ham – I love making big sharing plates for everyone to tuck into with an aperitivo!